Every Monday night I teach a Hips, Butt, Thighs class at Tula West here in Toronto. I started this class because I love training my lower body, and to offer something new to my clients. When I started this class about a year ago there were two ladies that were there every week, rain or shine, no matter what. Since then, I have seen major changes in both of their bodies and it makes me so proud that their dedication paid off! So I asked Kathy, and Laverne to share their favorite Hips, Butt, Thighs exercises with you all!
Bridging On The Ball:
1. Sit on top of the stability ball with your arms crossed over your chest. Make sure to support through your core begin to walk yourself out until your head and shoulders are comfortably supported by the ball, and your ankles and knees line up.
2. Keep the hips in line with the knees and shoulders and press the weight into your heels. Breathe here.
3. For an added challenge inhale to lower the hips 2 inches, exhale to push into your full bridge position. Repeat 10-20 times.
Works: Glutes, hamstrings, and quads.
1. Place a Dyna Band under your feet and step out to hip distance. For added weight you can cross the band in front of the body.
2. Keeping the knees slightly bent, and the core engaged step your right foot out, and then follow with the left without letting the feet get any closer than hip distance apart at all times. Waddle ten steps to the right and ten steps to the left.
3. For an extra challenge at the end of your ten steps, balance on the inside foot pulsing the outer leg up 10 times.
Works: Outer thighs (abductors)
Ball Squats With Ball:
1. For this classic exercise place the ball against the wall and stand with the ball in the small of your back. Walk your feet out until you can see your shins. Feet will be a little wider than hip distance apart for this one.
2. Squat down using the support of the ball. Keep your lower abdominals, and inner thighs engaged for support. Make sure that your knees never go over your toes, and your weight is in your heels.
3. Hold for 30-60 seconds and remember to breathe!
Works: Glutes, hamstrings, quads, inner thighs.
1. Lying on your tummy bring both knees to the edges of your mat. Bring your heels together, toes apart and begin to squeeze gently into your heels.
2. Keeping your navel to spine, core supporting, gently try to lift the knees and thighs off the mat a few centimeters. You should not feel your low back compress, or your shoulders and neck tense up to lift the legs so only lift as high as you can with JUST the glutes working.
3. Do 10-20 reps, and for an added challenge pulse at the top of your last one for an extra butt lift!
Works: Glutes, inner thighs.
|Kathy and Laverne looking Pilates fit!|
Thanks so much to Kathy and Laverne for helping me with this post, and I’ll see you both tonight to kick your butt in class!