Happy Easter! It’s a beautiful spring day, that deserves a beautiful spring breakfast! The weeks have passed and my obsession with chia seeds is still going strong. I’ve been waiting to try this recipe from A Whisk And Two Wands, and today seemed like the perfect time. Check out this delicious lemony recipe, it’s definitely making it’s way into my regular breakfast rotation.
Lemon Cake Breakfast Bowl
- 1/3c oats, used gluten-free
- 1 heaping tbs organic chia seeds (ground or whole)
- 1- 1 1/4c almond milk, coconut milk, or non dairy milk of choice
- 2 lemons (zest only)
- 1/4 c raw cashews, optional (this makes everything taste more like cake!)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, optional
- 1 c unsweetened vanilla coconut milk yogurt, or regular Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar, stevia, honey or sweetener of choice to taste
Step 1: In high speed blender place oats, chia seeds, nut milk, protein powder, lemon zest, and cashews. Grind into a thick paste, spoon into a jar or bowl and place in the fridge overnight.
Step 2: Prepare yogurt by mixing in sweetener and lemon zest, not too much so you have some to garnish the top of your bowl later. Place in fridge to set.
Step 3: The next morning (or 4-5 hrs later) your mixture will be ready. In clear bowl or jar begin to layer chia seed mixture and then yogurt mixture on top. Add extra zest of lemon or garnish of your choice, and you’ve got a delicious and impressive looking breakfast bowl!