“Creamed” Broccoli Soup
I’ve been making this soup for years, it’s simple, quick, and satisfying.
- 3 medium broccoli stalks, chopped into florets (about 6 cups)
- 4 cups of your favorite unsalted vegetable or chicken soup stock
- 1/2 cup loose chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp powdered or crushed dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried powdered or crushed dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 large potato (creates that creamy thickness without the calories)
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Wash and chop broccoli, removing stems and set aside. Peel and cube the potato, and chop parsley, reserving 2 Tbsp to mince as a garnish. Sauté onion and garlic on medium heat in 1 tsp olive oil for 10 minutes. After onion is translucent add broccoli, potato chunks, and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender – about 5 minutes
- Place broccoli, liquid, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and salt in blender. Puree until smooth.
- Optional: Add a dollop of low fat Greek yogurt to the top of your soup each time you serve for extra creaminess, garnish with parsley and enjoy!