The trend in health food right now with our modern busy lifestyles are quick on the go snacks like power bars or granola bars. I think it’s fantastic that there are so many products on the market now that promote 90% organic, or natural ingredients, and have nutritious elements such as Clif Bars, Larabara, Luna Bars. However, we cannot have blind faith in the power bar to provide us with everything we need for breakfast or lunch. These products are still processed after all! Some of these bars contain over 20grams of sugar and excessive amounts of fats, which is not by any means ideal. In a bind though, I’ve been known to scarf down a one of these bars myself. When I was browsing one of my favorite blogs the other day Eating Bird Food and she had the brilliant idea to make your own power bars! Duh! Great idea, because then you know exactly what you’re eating. So I tried it out…
Homemade Mini Chocolate Dipped Coconut ‘Luna Bars’
- 2 cups crispy brown rice cereal (I used Erewhon’s Gluten-Free)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats (gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried coconut flakes
- 2 Tablespoons protein powder (I used Sunwarrior)
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons vegan chocolate chips, melted
- Put cereal and oatmeal in a small food processor/chopper and pulse until the cereal is chopped fine. Don’t process it too much or else you’ll end up with flour.*
- Place cereal and oat mixture in a large mixing bowl and add in the coconut, protein powder and cocoa powder.
- Add the brown rice syrup, honey, peanut butter, coconut oil, and vanilla to a small sauce pan on medium-low heat. Stir mixture and heat until everything is melted and combined, about 2 minutes.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and stir very well, making sure to coat everything.
- Line a pan with parchment paper and spread the mixture evenly into the pan. Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of the mixture, then press down as firmly as you can. Really press it down.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Spread the chocolate on top of the bars and freeze for at least an hour before slicing.
- Store the bars in a sealed container in the freezer, fridge or a room temperature. I like them straight from the freezer.