As summer winds down, these are the last few weeks to enjoy our warm weather cravings for grilled delights. After tasting these homemade black bean veggie burgers this past weekend I wished I had been eating them all summer long. So make up for lost time, and try these delicious black bean burgers, they’re filled with fiber, and have over 16 grams of protein per serving!
|Inspiration for this recipe via Whole Foods.|
- 1 (16 ounce) can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn niblets
- 1/2 onion chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds or chia seeds
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If cooking indoors, preheat a lightly oiled large pan over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans until thick and pasty.
- Finely chop onion, and mince garlic. Then stir into mashed beans along with corn niblets.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg whites, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in flax seeds or chia until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If cooking indoors, place patties in pan, and cook about 10 minutes on each side.
- Serve on whole wheat hamburger bun, or for a gluten free option on top of a salad. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!