The countdown is on, I’m leaving for my Australian adventure in two days! Whenever you go on a trip whether it’s across the country, or across the world there are a million things to do in preparation. Usually our healthy routines and habits slowly drop to the bottom of the list. Even for me as a fitness professional, I find it hard to do things I would usually do when there’s the added stress of travel arrangements, packing, and making sure things are taken care of at home while I’m away. The last thing I want however, is to come home from my vacation and have to start from scratch with my workouts and healthy eating. Afterall, this is my lifestyle meaning it’s an ongoing kinda thing. Of course I will indulge and enjoy all that my vacation holds for me, but I would like to look and feel my best too! It’s easy, here are my 5 top tips to maintain your healthy habits while you travel.
1. Pre-make packable snacks. Most airline meals, although they are small portions, contain almost nothing that is unprocessed, and quite often are full of trans fats (aka. the heart attack fats). If you’re not used to eating processed foods this can not only be an unpleasant dining experience, but could also cause you some serious digestion issues. On a long flight? No thank you! Choose to take snacks that are usually found in your diet, and are easy to pack like nuts, seeds, fruit, or a natural meal replacement power bar.
2. Bring lots of things to keep you busy on the plane. It is easy to plow through your healthy snacks, and then be tempted to eat that bag of salted almonds, or mini Oreos because you’re bored. Bring lots of magazines, games, books, and music to keep yourself entertained and to keep your mind off the fact you are stuck on a plane.
3. Drink lots of water. Yes it’s annoying to keep asking the person next to you to let you out to use the lavatory, but it’s important! Drinking water hydrates us, helps promote healthy kidney functioning, and will help us to determine whether we are actually hungry or if we are just thirsty. This tip could save you from making poor food choices on the plane and when you arrive to your destination. Save yourself for a real indulgence, not some plastic processed dessert that looks like a brownie.
4. Keep it moving. So you skip a workout, who cares! You are on vacation after all. The only thing that matters is that you stay active, as in walking in the morning, doing yoga in your hotel room, or swimming in the hotel pool, or planning a hike. Enjoyable activities that you can incorporate into your itinerary. Walking in the morning is my favorite, it’s a great way to explore a new place!
5. Don’t restrict yourself! This is the biggest one for me. It’s important to let loose sometimes, eat and do whatever you want, stay out late, and not think about how it will affect your fitness goals. This one may seem contradictory, but what I’m getting at is you can still maintain a base level of health and fitness, and stay true to your beliefs while doing whatever the heck you want. The goal is to feel good, so go for food choices, and activities that do just that!